Ndume urges FG, states to subsidise for first-timers

Date:

Share post:

The Chief Whip of the Senate, Ali Ndume, has rejected the increase in the fees for the 2024 Hajj by the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, describing it as unfair and a deliberate plan to deny Nigerian Muslims, especially first-timers, the opportunity to participate in the exercise.

NAHCON announced on Sunday the new rate adjustment in a statement issued by its spokesperson, Fatima Sanda-Usara.

The commission stated that the current rate of N1,474.00 to a dollar makes it imperative to make the adjustment.

According to the statement, about 49,000 intending pilgrims under the public quota had earlier paid the sum of N4.9m to the commission when the naira was still N897 to a dollar at the banks.

About 49,000 pilgrims who had earlier paid the old fees of N4.9m each to the commission have been told to pay an additional N1.9m each on or before March 28, while new registration has been fixed at N8.5m.

In a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja, Ndume said pilgrims who had earlier paid the old fees cannot be compelled to cough out almost N2m, barely one week to the end of the registration.

Ndume, while listing the five pillars of Islam, namely: Shahada, Salah, Zakat, Sawm, and Hajj, said, the sacred pilgrimage to Mecca is required of every Muslim at least once in their lifetime.

He also called on President Bola Tinubu to approve the payment of the extra cost as a subsidy to enable first-timers to attend this year’s Hajj to the Holy Land.

He also called on the respective state governments to foot the additional cost for intending pilgrims who cannot pay the new fee set by NAHCON.

He said denying Muslims of their religious rights, especially first-timers, is unfair and does not tell well of the country.

Ndume stated, “The sudden hike in the fees intending pilgrims are expected to pay by NAHCON is unfair. You cannot impose such on them. They had already paid for ahead of time. If there is any changes, the burden should be on NAHCON and not on the intending pilgrims.

“Something urgent needs to be done about this. I call on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to approve the payment of the extra fee as directed by NAHCON. This is the right thing to do in order to save the situation.”

He added, “I am also calling on states pilgrims are coming from to subsidise the fees of pilgrims, especially first timers. Hajj is one of the five pillars of Islam, and it is unfair to deny first-timers the right to perform this spiritual exercise, especially after they have already paid the old fee set by NAHCON. “

He added, “I do not think it is fair to ask them to pay almost N2m again. Many of the pilgrims saved up the money for many years to enable them to participate in Hajj. You cannot deny such people the right to participate.

“I strongly believe that the right thing to do is to subsidise the fee and take the extra burden away from pilgrims, especially first-timers who deserve to participate in this year’s Hajj exercise. We need to help them.”

Related articles

Johor Islamic Dept Seizes 11 ‘Floormats’ With Kaabah Images, Turns Out They’re Actually Prayer Mats

The Johor State Islamic Affairs Department (JAINJ) today revealed that it seized 11 floormats bearing the images of...

Hajj 2024 Registration From UAE: Requirements, Procedure, News & More *Updated March 2024*

This article has been reviewed by Wego’s editorial team to ensure that the content is up to date & accurate.  Updated...

When is Eid in Morocco? Eid ul Fitr 2024 date announced after Morocco moonsighting

The date for Eid ul Fitr 2024 has been announced in Morocco. The Ministry of Islamic Affairs confirmed...

Baznas: Zakat fitrah Kota Bandung naik, capai Rp48 miliar tahun ini

Kota Bandung (ANTARA) - Badan Amil Zakat Nasional (Baznas) Kota Bandung mengumpulkan zakat fitrah pada Ramadhan 1445 Hijriah...